The following section gives a brief introduction to our history.
It is now difficult to verify the historical facts but it seems that the roots of the present assembly at Viewforth date back to the late 1880s when a group of around 13 fishermen met for the Breaking of Bread in a house in Lorimer Place. In 1884 many of their number had come in contact with Christians in Lerwick who were meeting together following New Testament principles, preaching the gospel and breaking bread but not wishing to belong to any particular denomination. Following an increase in numbers, the house was too small for them and the group moved to a new hall in Gardiner's Close.
Other early influences were an influx of Christian miners from the west who arrived at nearby Tranent looking for work in 1890. Gospel campaigns in the new century resulted in a further increase in numbers and the land to build a new hall at the present location was purchased in 1918. The hall was built "with the help of one journeyman" and voluntary labour (many of the men were miners who were idle due to a strike at the time) and was opened with a conference in September 1922. It has continued as a place of worship and gospel preaching to the present day.